It’s January. You’re looking forward to starting the new year fresh; but the moment you step into a store, it’s decked with red hearts, flowers, and chocolate practically staring at you in the face. There’s no escaping now. A grave reminder that Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and you have no Valentine to spend it with.
The truth is… there’s no shame in being single and partner-less on Valentine’s Day. It’s just another overrated day that will soon pass. In fact, there’s a downside to Valentine’s Day that many couples go through.
Valentine’s Day puts too much emphasis on romance, demanding unrealistic expectations which, if not met, can become a major disappointment. Many women like to imagine themselves as the leading lady in a romcom. They want Valentine’s Day to be the most romantic day of the year while their significant other struggles to make that happen. That kind of pressure can drive a wedge between two lovebirds.
On the other hand, as a single, unattached woman, you don’t have to worry about making Valentine’s Day picture perfect. You can use it, instead, as an opportunity to learn how to love yourself.
The perks of being single on Valentine’s Day:
1. You have the freedom to do whatever you want, whenever you want.
2. You can spend the day just being yourself. No one is holding you back or expecting you to “perform.”
3. You have full control to make the day extra special and beautiful. You get to decide how the day should go.
4. You can romance yourself – buy yourself the kind of flowers and chocolate that you like.
5. You get to pamper yourself the way you like: Get a massage, spa, mani-pedis, go on a shopping spree without anyone judging you.
6. No pressure to overemphasize the day with high expectations of romance.
7. You won’t be disappointed if your Valentine doesn’t deliver the kind of romance you deserve.
8. You can watch all the rom-coms you want without anyone complaining about it.
9. You’re not limiting yourself to someone else’s idea of romance.
10. No need to wait around for your Valentine to make a move.
Overall, Valentine’s Day is for you and you alone. Someone is loving you unconditionally. That someone is you.